Note: This is an archive site. For latest updates, please visit
Brewton-Parker College
International Admissions
 About BPC

Services and Information for International Students


International Student Services provides information and assistance to our current students and to those still in the application process.  Much of the information you need will be found here, but when you have specific questions or concerns, talk to Linda Esparzain the admissions' office in Palmer Building, call her at 912.583.3257 &




One of the services to new and returning students is airport transporation to and from the Atlanta Hartsfield International Airport at the beginning and end of each semester.  The dates for upcoming semesters are posted below, well enough ahead of time to allow you to arrange the best possible price for your ticket. 

If you must come at another time, you should use the Greyhound bus to Dublin, GA, where someone will meet you.  Transportation from another airport is not guaranteed.

Always communicate your flight information to Mrs. Lewis or Mrs. Cosnahan ahead of time

so we can arrange transportation for you and your luggage . 


SPRING 2012:     Departure of ALL STUDENTS WED, May 9
FALL 2012:         Arrival NEW STUDENTS into ATL aiport SUN, Aug (12)
FALL 2012:         Arrival RETURNING STUDENTS into ATL aiport SUN, Aug (19)
FALL 2012:         Departure of ALL STUDENTS FRI, DEC (14)
SPRING 2013:     Arrival of ALL STUDENTS into ATL airport SUN, Jan (13)
SPRING 2013:     Departure of ALL STUDENTS WED, MAY 8

(back to top)



This website cannot begin to provide a comprehensive review of all the immigration issues related to student visas.  It will address the most common questions and provide links to government online resources.  Email if you need to ask specific questions not addressed here or not clear at links below.

(back to top)


EMPLOYMENT on a Student Visa

Students on an F-1 visa are limited to working on-campus only and only up to 20 hours per week during school terms, 40 hours per week during semester breaks and in the summertime.  There are 3 exceptions under which a student may work off-campus; all require SEVIS approval BEFORE the employment can begin.  Working without proper authorization is the only cause for loss of status which cannot be appealed.  Specific guidance on each type can be found at the URL below.  However, general guidance on these types of acceptabel employment are:

  • Curricular Practical Training (CPT) - Internships which are an integral part of the degree plan.  May be authorized by the DSO for up to 12 months.  A student who uses all 12 months of full-time CPT forfeits the OPT benefit. See for more information: .
  • Optional Practical Training (OPT) - OPT may be pre-completion or post-completion.  It may be full or part-time.  However, it cannot exceed 12 full months and must be completed no later than 14 months after graduation.  It is available at the end of each degree level (ie. Associates, Bachelors, Masters, Doctorate).  Application must be made through the DSO to Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) for adjudication.  Work cannot begin until the Employment Authorization Document (EAD) is in hand and the start date on the EAD has arrived. See for more information: .
  • Severe Economic Hardship - This employment category is the only one not tied to degree progression or completion.  It is available to any international student who is experiencing economic difficulties due to a change in their circumstances beyond their control.  The student must apply through the DSO to ICE and document the necessity of working off-campus and the reason for the need.  The filing fee MAY be waived, but authorization is not automatic.  If given, it will be for only 12 months, and renewal requires another application (and fee).

(back to top)


Every person in the US on an F visa must file a US tax form giving immigration data every year.  Certain individuals may also be required to file a US tax return to account for US funds received during the year.  These two forms and the information for each are listed below.

  1. Form 8843 - This is the immigration form that must be filed with the US Internal Revenue Service.  It is due no later than June 15 each year.
  2. Form 1040NR-EZ - This form is for those who have a large enough US-based income [work, scholarships, interest on investments] to have a tax liability.  Due by April 15 each year.

General information about US tax responsibilities for passport holders from other nations can be found at:,,id=129249,00.html and at a site maintained by the University of Texas system:

A tax clinic is held every year for Brewton-Parker students during the 3rd week of March to help students prepare these documents.  The 2010 Tax Clinic was held on March 25th from 6:00 - 9:00.  Tax forms are still available in Newton Building for students who need them.

(back to top)



International students are required to have general US medical insurance for the academic year from August 1 through July 31.  The policy must provide basic medical benefits for illness and also cover medical evacuationa and repatriation of remains.  If the student is an athlete, additional coverage for athletic injury is required up to at least $5000.  These requirements provide a minimum guarantee of essential services in the case of illness, injury, or death.

Below, you will find two options that has been provided with more information. If you choose to apply and complete the steps that need to be made, you will then print out the Certificate of coverage and send it to Linda Esparza no later than July 15th.

Student Secure insurance options. Questions should be directed to Linda Esparza

(back to top)

The mission of Brewton-Parker College, a Georgia Baptist college, is to develop the whole student through the application
of Biblically-centered truth to a liberal arts curriculum in a community of shared Christian values.
Brewton-Parker College is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award associate and baccalaureate degrees. Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call 404-679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of Brewton-Parker College.
Brewton-Parker College | Located on U.S. 280 at 201 David-Eliza Fountain Circle, P. O. Box 197, Mount Vernon, GA 30445
with a site in Newnan
912-583-2241, 1-800-342-1087
Get directions to the main campus.
Contact Technology Services if you have any comments, questions or issues.
June 21, 2016 4:07 PM